Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Toast

The first thing that really stuck out to me about the 'Screwtape Proposes a Toast' reading is the different style it took. I was so accustomed to reading a personal letter towards Wormwood, the young tempter, that the different format kind of threw me off guard. But nonetheless, I found the Screwtape to be the very same demon that I found so humorous in the rest of the book. However, the commentary about the feasting on the souls that he makes during the first part of his speech I found to be quite grotesquely entertaining. The talk about feasting on adulterers and other type of sinners was both digusting and quite humorous. Yet, the point Screwtape makes about the abundance of souls, despite the extreme lack of quality of them, really stuck out to me. He feels like there really aren't any 'great sinners' anymore, but rather just herds of simply somewhat bad people - those who have made a few mistakes in their life, but not becasue they are inherently evil, but rather for a number of trivial reasons. This point really stuck out to me, because many people who aren't exactly religious may still consider themselves to not be evil people so that must mean that they will get to Heaven, yet this is the opposite of what we see to be true. It's not just the horrendous people that are going to Hell, but rather just vast amounts of poor souls. The other comment that I found interesting was that Screwtape says that he can use the 'great sinners' to influence "tens of thousands of the huan sheep with him" (193). Today, it seems like many people tend to simply follow the celebrities and TV stars of the day, no matter what they do. Little girls flock to be like Paris Hilton, etc. Ultimately, I can really see how what Screwtape is saying with this point to be quite true. Overall, I found the toast to be quite shocking, but also amusing as a whole.

3 comments:

Kenion said...

I think I've come up with a potential theory on the demise of the quality sinners who take so many down with them. If we look at the Paris Hiltons of today, one thing all of them share in common is that they're so ridiculous crazy that they're not some incredibly awe-inspiring figure who causes people to change their lives in droves without thought no matter what's said. If they say something that has a bit of sense to it, people might just think and start paying attention. This factor of paying attention kills any chance that the role model of today takes people down with them so blindly and so easily. I suppose it could be said that there aren't enough smart and clever evil people around more Screwtape these days.

JJONES3 said...

I really agree with your blog I think that alot of people think that if they just do so called little sins, they are better off than those who committ murder and other serious sins, but that isnt true. God has taught us in his word that sin is still sin regardless of its magnitude. We should be working to stop sinning, not working to not sin as bad.

charlene medina said...

I really liked what you had to say in this blog. I was able to see things that I didn't catch as I was reading.